Ukrainian newcomers arriving in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA) 

The Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA)

You have arrived in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA). This is home to Canada's largest city. It is also where many people live in Canada. This area includes the City of Toronto, City of Hamilton, and regional municipalities of Durham, Halton, Peel and York. 

Durham Region

Durham Region is a diverse community, where everyone is welcome - rich in cultural heritage and strong in creative culture. Approximately 700,000 people live in eight cities and towns in the region. The eight areas include Ajax, Brock, Clarington, Oshawa, Pickering, Scugog, Whitby, and Uxbridge. 

Telephone |1-800-372-1102 (toll-free)
Website |  


Hamilton is a port city in the province of Ontario. Hamilton has a population of approximately 569,000 and includes communities such as Ancaster, Dundas, Flamborough, Glanbrook, and Stoney Creek.


Telephone | 905-546-2489 
Email |


Peel Region

Peel Region is a regional municipality in Southern Ontario, with a population of approximately 1.4 million. It
consists of three municipalities to the west and northwest of the city of Toronto: the cities of Mississauga and Brampton, and the town of Caledon.


Telephone |1-888-919-7800 (toll-free)
Email |


York Region

York Region is a regional municipality north of Toronto, with a population of approximately 1.2 million. The
municipalities in York Region include Markham, Vaughan, Richmond Hill, Aurora, Georgina, King, Newmarket, Whitchurch-Stouffville and East Gwillimbury.


Telephone | 1-877-464-9675
Email |


Support and Services

You just arrived in Canada.
Here are some services you can access:


211 is a free, confidential community and social services helpline available 24/7 by phone with interpretation in 150+ languages and online. To connect with a 211 Service Navigator for information and referrals to nearby community supports including newcomer and settlement services, employment and training programs, 2SLGBTQ+ resources, mental health supports, legal aid services, child care programs, transportation and more, call or text 2-1-1 or visit to chat live or search for services online


311 provides residents, businesses and visitors with easy access to non-emergency city services, programs and information 24/7. You can dial 3-1-1 or 416-392-CITY (2489) by phone for assistance in more than 180 languages. This service is not available in Durham Region, Hamilton or York Region.



Settlement.Org provides newcomers with information and resources to settle in Ontario.
Newcomers can get information, read relevant news, ask their questions and share their
experiences with others, and access a database of community organizations.


Ukrainian Canadian Congress

Ukrainian Canadian Congress Toronto Branch has online resources with information on housing, jobs, child care, education, banking, and other items.
Websites|  and 




Orientation to Ontario Workbook

This resource for newcomers provides information on health care, education, child care, employment
opportunities and housing. There is also an Apple/Android app available for download called ArriveON.





Housing and Shelter

People in this area have offered their homes to Ukrainians. These people have been checked and approved. Please email to reach COSTI Immigrant Services. They can connect you with a volunteer host.
Website |

Housing in Hamilton
Home hosting in Hamilton is being organized by YMCA of Hamilton, Burlington, Brantford. Immediate supports for newcomers include access to safe housing, language interpretation, and employment opportunities.


Financial Support

Canada-Ukraine Transitional Assistance Initiative (CUTAI)

Many people arrive in Canada under the Canada-Ukraine Transitional Assistance Initiative (CUTAI). If you are part of this program, you can get one-time financial support. It is $3,000 per adult (18 and older) and $1,500 per child (under 17). You need to fill out an online application.

Website |

Ontario Works Emergency Financial Assistance 

Financial help is available from the Ontario government. If you need help paying for food and shelter, you can apply for Emergency Assistance.
Telephone | 1-888-789-4199 (toll-free)
Website | 


Job Search Support

Employment Ontario

Employment Ontario can help you find work or training. The service is free.


Job Bank

The Government of Canada created a specific webpage for Ukrainians seeking employment in Canada called Jobs for Ukraine.

 Health Care  


Ukrainians have been granted emergency approval to come to Canada. This means they have access
to health care supports and services. In Ontario, it is the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) that
covers this.

Apply for a Health Card

You must apply for a OHIP in person at a ServiceOntario centre. There is no waiting period and you can apply for coverage as soon as you arrive in Ontario. For more information, call the ServiceOntario INFOline at 1-866-532-3161 (toll-free).


If you are receiving Emergency Assistance, you and your children will be enrolled in the Ontario Drug Benefit Program. This program can help with costs for many medications. For more information, please call 1-800-575-5386 (toll-free), 8:30 am - 5:00 pm., Monday to Friday. Website:  

Need to see a Doctor?

Do you need health care or medical help right now? Call the Refugee HealthLine at 1-866-286-4770. This toll-free line is offered in many languages. 
Need a family doctor or a nurse practitioner? 
Visit be connected with one.


School Boards

Students in Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12 arriving in Ontario will be able to attend publicly funded schools. There are both Public and Catholic school boards in each region that school-aged
children (ages 4 to 18) can attend.


Durham District School Board 
Telephone |1-800-265-3968 (toll-free)

Durham Catholic District School Board 
Telephone |1-877-482-0722 (toll-free) 
Email |

Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board
Telephone | 1-877-741-4577 (toll-free)
Email |

Peterborough, Victoria, Northumberland and Clarington Catholic District School Board
Telephone | 1-800-461-8009 (toll-free)

Halton Region

Halton District School Board
Telephone | 1-877-618-3456 (toll-free)
Email |

Halton Catholic District School Board 
Telephone |1-800-741-8382 (toll-free) 
Email |


Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board 
Telephone | 905-527-5092
Email |

Hamilton-Wentworth Catholic District School Board 
Telephone | 905-525-2930

Peel Region

Peel District School Board
Telephone | 1-800-668-1146 (toll-free)
Email |

Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board
Telephone | 1-800-387-9501 (toll-free)
Email |


Toronto District School Board 
Telephone | 416-397-3000
Email |

Toronto Catholic District School Board 
Telephone | 416-222-8282, ext. 5320

York Region

York Region District School Board
Telephone |1-877-280-8180, ext. 243 (toll-free)

York Catholic District School Board
Telephone | 905-713-2711

Child Care

EarlyON Child and Family Centres 

EarlyON Child and Family Centres offer free, high-quality programs for families and children from birth to 6 years old. You can learn and play with your child, meet people and get advice from early childhood professionals.

Find and Pay for Child Care

Get help finding, choosing and paying for child care. Child care services are available if you have an infant, toddler, preschooler or if your child is already in or ready for school. Families can also apply for the Ontario child care fee subsidy.

Free Clothing and Household Items 


UCC Toronto - Canadian Parachute Program 

Ukrainian Canadian Congress Toronto Branch has two hubs offering clothing and basic necessities: 160 North Queen St, Etobicoke and 150 Bridgeland Ave, Suite 104, Toronto.

To access this information online, visit:






Scroll to top